Experience the magic of biology in your own home lab. This hands-on introduction includes dozens of educational (and fun) experiments that let you explore this fascinating field on your own. Perfect for middle- and high-school students and DIY enthusiasts, this full-color guide teaches you the basics of biology lab work and shows you how to set up a safe lab at home. The Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments is written with the needs of home-schoolers firmly in mind, as well as those of adults who are eager to explore the science of nature as a life-long hobby.
- Investigate the chemistry of life from simple acids, bases, and buffers to complex carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, enzymes, and DNA
- Explore photosynthesis, fermentation, osmosis, nitrogen fixation, and other life processes
- Observe populations and ecosystems and do air and water pollution tests
- Investigate genetics and inheritance
- Do hands-on microbiology, from simple culturing to micro-evolution of bacteria by forced selection
- Gain the hands-on experience you need to pass the AP Biology exam
- And much, much more
Through their company, The Home Scientist, LLC, the authors also offer inexpensive custom kits that provide specialized equipment and supplies you'll need to complete the experiments. Add a microscope and some common household items and you're good to go.