Since the advent of digital photography, we have been able to post-process our pictures. However, to do it properly, we have to become digital art apprentices. Sebastian Montabone is a computer vision expert who wants us to use our cameras and image processing software to come up with works of art. In this book, he teaches image processing techniques of ascending difficulty based on freely available tools. The book teaches you to use the best tools for the job, and it focuses on the techniques, not the environments or toolchains in which they run. Several free and open source programs are covered such as GIMP, Hugin, Luminance HDR (formerly known as Qtpfsgui), UFraw, Imagemagick, exiftool, and avidemux.
Also in this book, you'??ll learn about the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK), which expands the features of some cameras.
What you'll learn
- Learn how to process your photos by example.
- Save money by using free tools instead of expensive commercial software.
- Create unbelievable high-dynamic range (HDR) pictures.
- Generate stunning panoramas from ordinary pictures.
- Use the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) to expand your camera features.
- Make videos and edit them easily using free software.
Who this book is for This book is for anyone who is interested in photography, image processing, or free image editing software, with no exceptions.